Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Because I Can

Epic song list. I could have written all of these and they define the last several months of my life.  


Carrie Underwood: Undo It
All around perfect angry-girl song. Every girl needs one...or twenty.
 "I should've walked but I never had the chance, everything got out of hand and I let it slide. Now I only have myself to blame for falling for your stupid games, I wish my life could be the way it was before I saw your face....You want my future you can't have it! Still trying to erase you from my past. I need you gone so fast!"


Sara Evans: A Little Bit Stronger
"Doesn't happen overnight, but you turn around and a month's gone by and you realize you haven't cried. I'm not giving you an hour or a second or another minute longer. I'm busy getting stronger."

Lauren Hill feat. Mary J. Blige: I Used to Love Him
This song has followed me through my life and gets more meaningful each time.
"I chose a road of passion and pain, sacrified too much and waited in vain. Gave up my power, ceased being queen, addicted to love like the drug of a fiend. Torn and confused, wasted and used, reached the crossroad, which path would I choose. Stuck and frustrated I waited, debated for something to happen that just wasn't fated. Thought what I wanted was something I needed, when momma said no I just should have heeded. Misled, I bled till the poisen was gone and out of the darkness arrived the sweet dawn. I used to love him, but now I don't."

The Wreckers: Cigarettes
I will belt this at the top of my voice on any given car ride.
"See I left another good man tonight. I wonder if he'll miss me, Lord knows I tried. But I think that maybe the thing that I did wrong was put up with his bull shit for far too long. I think I might like the quiet nights of this empty life. 'Cause someday maybe somebody will love me like I need. And someday I won't have to prove 'cause somebody will see all my worth, but until then I'll do just fine on my own...with my cigarettes and this old dirt road."

Sarah Bareilles: Between the Lines
"No right minds could wrong be this many times...My memory is cruel. I'm queen of attention to detail, defending intentions if he failed. 'Till now. He told me her name. It sounded familiar in a way, I could've sworn I'd heard him say it 10,000 times. Oh if only I had been listening."

Ani DiFranco: Dilate
Total. Girl. Crush. Look at the way she makes love to her guitar. There are multiple Ani songs that I could put on this list, but this is the most epic.
"You are so lame, you always disappoint me. It's kinda like our running joke, but it's really not funny. And I just want you to live up to the image of you I've created. I see you and I'm so unsatisfied. I see you and I dilate."

Christina Perri: Jar of Hearts
This is probably one of the most poignant music videos I have ever seen and it never fails to bring forth a reaction from me every time I watch it. This song (and video), from beginning to end, exemplifies exactly what I went through.
"I hear you're asking all around if I am anywhere to be found. But, I have grown too strong to ever fall back in your arms! ...It took so long just to feel all right. Remember how to put back the light in my eyes. I wish I had missed the first time that we kissed, 'cause you broke all your promises. And now you're back. You don't get to get me back!"

Adele: Rolling in the Deep
I have been an Adele fan since she was on VH1's Behind the Music. She blows it out of the park with this song. This, more than any of the others, is my theme song.
"Finally I can see you crystal clear. Go 'head and sell me out and I'll lay your shit bare. See how I leave with every piece of you. Don't underestimate the things that I will do. There's a fire starting in my heart. It's reaching a fever pitch and it's bringing me out the dark."

No comments: