Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Putting the Wings Back on my Feet

I have a hierarchy of goals. They are as large as traveling the world and as small as getting through a day without picking my cuticles. Right now, the goal on the top of my list is to actually break in my new running shoes.

GET ON MY FEET!!!


I spent the first half of the summer bemoaning not being able to run because I needed new running shoes and couldn't afford them. Well, these have been sitting in my room, still in their box, for a week now without me slipping into their gel-soled goodness.

The main problem is the fact that I am a lazy slob and cannot get myself out of bed before 7 a.m. In order for me to go for a run before work, have time to come back and shower, make my lunch, and drive the 30-minute commute, I'm thinking I need to be rolling out of bed by at least 5:30. Somehow, I just cannot get myself to do it.

"Well, Christina," you say. "That's an easy solution! Just go running after work."

Oh, my naive children, don't you know that the laziness sets in even stronger after work?
Save me from myself

Ok, so maybe I'm totally telling the truth exaggerating slightly.

All jokes aside, the truth of the matter is that I am a champ at over-booking myself. Case in point: I am leaving work early today to go take sailing lessons with my dad and then leaving there and flying to Dennis to attend a class at New Life Christian Center. By the time that's done, it will be after 9 p.m. and I will be in no mood to go running or even have the energy to attempt it.

What really needs to happen is, to steal Nike's slogan, Just. Do. It! Health/nutrition/exercise is a cycle: the more active one is, the more energy one has; the less active one is, the more lethargic one becomes. I know once I get myself out of bed that one morning and start running, the whole process will become easier and I won't have to force myself to go to bed early.

Being committed to health means being committed to a change in lifestyle, i.e. waking up early enough to go running means not staying out late the night before. I have known this for so long and yet somehow it's so easy to regress. I am so close to my weight goal that sometimes it's easy to pat myself on the back and think those last 5 pounds aren't really that important. And while some people would agree and say that I look great just as I am, I set that goal for myself for a reason and it's important to follow through (and not just because I'm obsessive about weight loss and meeting goals). It's important because I'm not in the habit of half-assing things in any area of my life. If I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it right and to the best of my ability. That's how I was raised. Furthermore, once I acheive my goal doesn't mean I want to stop being healthy. I made the decision to change what I eat and how I consume and I want that to stay with me for the rest of my life.

AWESOME PEP TALK, ME! So, all that being said, I am totally inspired to stop making excuses and start running in the mornings....

........starting next week........

Hey, don't be haters, I blessed you with two posts in one day! Be grateful :)

No comments: