Pages

Friday, August 29, 2008

I Love Sitcoms From the 80's & 90's

So, for the past month, I have been addicted to my friend Andy's blog. Our friendship is circa 2002 when I was preparing to head off to college.

I didn't intend on telling the story of how I met Andy, but I think I'm going to go with it. I believe it all started when a mutual friend, Chris, called me regarding my interest in the choir. We exchanged AOL IM screen names and began chatting online (remember when it was all about the IM and no one had even heard of "social networking sites?" Oh, thems were the days). Soon enough, Chris gave me Andy's screen name and said that he thought we would be great friends. Andy and Chris were best friends at the time, but this is still something I don't understand. Even though he denied it for years (maybe just one), Chris had an uber crush on me right from the get-go. Why ever would he connect me with Andy "Man-Whore" Shaw? (no offence, Andy, but that's how you were known at the time.)

Anyway, Andy and I started a pretty intense conversation regarding my vow to remain single until I found "the one." Unfortunately, I started dating the worst excuse for a human being that summer and totally went back on my vow (something I still regret to this day).

I met both Andy and Chris at Matriculation for the freshman class and Andy spent the whole afternoon with me and my parents. It was great fun. We continued to spend a lot of time together those first weeks of college and I was fairly angry at myself for not being single and available, but c'est la vie. We settled into a great friendship and since Andy and I were both Communication majors and both in choir and theater, we spent a good amount of time together throughout college.

He's always been a funny guy and I have heartily enjoyed reading his incredibly witty blogs over the past month. Which brings to the original reason for this posting. He recently posted something to the extent that The Hills was scripted or some other crap, to which I responded in the negatory. This inspired him to launch into the top ten greatest shows when we were growing up. His inspiration, of course, inspired me to continue his list with a few that he left out. I'm also going to be responding to some of his top ten in the same order he listed them, so make sure you've had your coffee for the morning first.

Read his entry first. Don't worry, I won't be mad, just make sure you come back here when you're done :)
  1. The Mickey Mouse Club. Andy listed Full House first, as well he should. Not only have I seen every single episode, but I've probably seen every single episode at least 10 times...and can quote them...and can call it every time they cue the sappy music, "Pam was my sister and I loved her very much..." Oh Uncle Jesse, what would pre-teen girls do without you? So, while Full House is worthy to be number one, I am making the case that the Disney Channel's Mickey Mouse Club should take precedence. Where else can you see pre-pubescent Britney Spears sing and dance to I'm Gonna Get You? And yes, I definitely used to record the episodes and watch them over and over again until I learned the dances. Besides Britney Spears, we also see Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, and JC Chavez start their stardom careers on the Mickey Mouse Club. What more could you ask for? A made-for-teens soap opera type drama? Oh, we have that, too in Emerald Shores. It's a complete package people, a complete package. Now I'm going to write to Disney and request, nay demand, that they put the episodes on a box set. And on that note, we'll MMC ya later!
  2. Andy mentions Seinfeld as his number two, but I have to go with another Disney Channel classic: Kid's Incorporated. That's right, Looks like we've made it, we're Kid's Incorporated *K. I. D. S!* Yet again, we see the start of a modern pop star's career on this show. That's right, kids, Fergie used to be Stacie on the show. There was some great talent and some great morals on this show. Like that one time when the two girls decided to both write a song and they wrote the same exact song without even collaborating. Is that even possible? Thank you for teaching me not to plagiarize, Kid's Incorporated!
  3. Hey Dude. This was just classic TV and I loved it for several reasons:
    a) I wanted to Marry Ted
    b) I thought Christine Taylor was related to my friend Spangle Taylor
    c) I still get a little scared thinking of that episode when Ted tried to scare everyone for Halloween and he ended up being the one scared in the end.
    d) I still know the entire theme song...It's a little wild and a little strange, when you make your home out on the range...
    e) Sarah Lindholm and I had some great moments watching it in her parents bedroom, eating peanut butter and fluff sandwiches off the TV trays.
  4. 90210. Does anyone else think that it's a total and complete farce that they're coming out with a new 90210? Seriously, how can you improve perfection? Knowing me, I'm probably going to become seriously addicted to it, just as I was seriously addicted to the original. However, I was never as addicted as my sister, Angelina. In fact, when we were mere children, we created a scheme, a scheme that would change the world as we knew it. As every true 80's/90's child knows, 90210 aired on Wednesday nights after Married With Children (another show I used to watch, but not quite worthy of the top ten list). Wednesday night was also, conveniently, my parents Bible study night. That's right, you know where this is going and I know where I'm going...straight to hell. Angelina and I, to convince my parents that we were old and mature enough to be left alone for the evening, told them that we loved Wednesday nights because it was "Sister's night." They were under the impression that Ange and I would play games and have a generally all-around bonding night while they were studying about our sweet Lord Jesus. Instead, we were blatantly lying and using it as an excuse to watch dirty television sitcoms we were in no way allowed to watch. Unfortunately, my parents came home early one night and caught us red-handed. I never really knew what happened after season 4. Did Brenda ever get back together with Dillon???
  5. Who's the Boss. Granted, this can in no way compete with Andy's number 5 choice of the Fresh Prince (In West Philadelphia born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days....do you really need me to continue??). However, Who's the Boss is another show that I watched every single episode 10 times and can rival Full House for my loyalty. Because in all honesty, who can compete with an Italian male housekeeper who's catch phrase is "eh oh, oh eh?" This is another show I wasn't initially allowed to watch. Yeah, what was up with that mom and dad? I think it might've been because of Angela's mother, Mona. She was pretty quick on the sexual innuendo draw. Yup, that's the kind of grandmother I want to be for sure. Another reason why I love this show...Muska and I have a deep love for Tony Danza's hair....don't ask.
  6. Punky Brewster. Yet again, Andy's choice of Saved by the Bell totally trumps Punky Brewster. And for the record, I loved Slater, wanted to be Kelly, and hated Tori with her damn leather jacket that she wore all the time. But, Punky does get a strong vote here too. Does she even need any words of acclamation? Let's just say she was the reason why young girls everywhere wore different colored socks. She was also the reason why one of my favorite outfits in the second grade was a black turtleneck with a purple cardigan over it, black stirrup pants, purple socks, black shoes and purple and black scrunchy rockin' out the side ponytail. I will never ever post the pictures on here.
  7. The Cosby Show. Dr. Huxtable, you were the epitome of fatherhood. This show made me want to be apart of this family...and be black. Even though, technically, Vanessa looked like she was white, I still wanted to be black like her. Damn you non-black genes! By the way, Andy's number 7 choice of Boy Meets World makes me smile. Randomly, everyone thought I looked like Topanga when I was in high school, does this strike anyone else as completely out in left field??
  8. Family Ties. Even though this was just slightly before my time, I still remember that warm, tender feeling it gave me every time I watched it. Also, Jennifer gave new meaning to classic bad 80's hair.
  9. Wonder Years. Andy mentioned this on his list of shows that did not make his top ten list. But, it makes my top ten list because, yet again, this was another show I wasn't allowed to watch. Big surprise. So, in that there was a lot of mystery surrounding this show and hushed conversations about how sexy Winnie was. Plus, as I've watched it in later years, it's just a timeless show about growing up in our generation. Hmmm, I just found the entire 6-season box set for only $50. Excuse me while I shuffle around in my purse for my debit card...
  10. Mork and Mindy. Ok, granted, this was a much older show, but come on, it's got frikken Robin Williams saying nanoo nanoo. And he lives in an egg!! How much better can it possibly get??

Ok, so that's it folks. The Christina Top Ten Best Sitcoms of the 1980's and '90's. I might even be so cool as to call the "I Love The 80's & 90's Sitcoms Part Deux" VH1 style. Oh yeah, I'm totally busting that one out.

I'm sure I won't get nearly as many comments on this as Andy got on his (unless he links my blog and all his readers come over here *hint hint*), but let me know what you think anyway. Ok, MMC ya later!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

ah america! I enjoyed that a lot! hope everything is well. My phone isn't working but I am hoping to get it fixed at the end of the week when I get to my university. Call you sometime after that. I love you.

So@24 said...

Hot damn. I could comment up a storm about this entire entry.

1. Not enough Nickelodeon. I mean, "Hey Dude" was good, but IMHO it wasn't as good as "Salute Your Shorts". Come on!

2. Topanga? Every man born in the 80s wanted Topanga's sweet ass

3. Saddest line in Full House? When Michelle says to Teddy, "I'm too sad to be mad" or even the episode when DJ is sucking ice pops about "Charlie Brown cheeks"

So@24 said...

Oh and I got your comment about Snow Patrol. Still gets to me to this day. Not sure why that is.