Pages

Friday, April 11, 2008

Here Comes the Sun

I really want summer. It was almost 70 degrees yesterday and when I went outside with Erin and Dani for our after-lunch walk around the parking lot my excitement for the warm weather was almost uncontainable. Sometimes after a long winter, it's hard to remember what it feels like to be sunkissed. Despite all the studies of the sun's damaging affects, I just can't get enough of it.

It's much harder to remember the way it feels to lie in the sand and have the sun dry off the ocean water leaving paterns of salt across arms and legs when the clouds are so thick and heavy. But, I suppose days like today must exist if only, to be cheesy, to remind us of how glorious the sun is.

The more and more I think about, the more strongly I feel that I was not made for the cold New England weather. With my mother's Latin family and my father's southern Italian heritage in me, I can't help but wonder if there is something in my blood that requires me to be in a warmer climate. Everytime I was in the Dominican Republic, in Mexico, when I was in Jordan the heat never bothered me...much. Even the grueling humidity in the DR I could cope with so much better than blue fingernails and frostbitten toes.

I still haven't heard back from the Samaritan's Purse. But, if I'm accepted, here's hoping they send me someplace warm.

No comments: